About Health Insurance in Louisiana
East Coast Health Insurance has extensive knowledge in Louisiana health insurance, with agents specifically licensed in this state. Our options include plans from Coventry One, Aetna, UnitedHealth One, and Humana One.
- Total Population: 4,432,600
- Total Uninsured Population: 765,800 (16%)
- Typical Cost of Inpatient Hospital Visit Per Day: $1,561
- Average State Premium for Individual Health Insurance: $206
Information provided by Kaiser Family Foundation, 2010.
Choosing a Plan in Louisiana
East Coast Health Insurance makes it easy for you to get a quote, start by entering your zip code above, or for extra assistance you can speak with one of our licensed Louisiana agents at 888-803-5917.
Louisiana Health Insurance Market & Laws
Louisiana’s health insurance laws include several policies that work in favor of the patient and also the insurance companies. Guaranteed renewability works in the favor of the policy-holder, who can renew their same policy with the same insurer after their plan has ended. They also cannot have their benefits terminated if they become ill during the time they are insured, as a result of this provision.
Pre-existing conditions in Louisiana are determined by the insurance company. This liberty allows them the ability to decide whether or not to provide you with a plan, or how much they can charge you for premium costs. The insurer also has the option of applying an exclusion period, where they do not cover the medical expenses associated with the condition, for up to 12 months.
If you change health insurance carriers, you are allowed to use your previous coverage as a credit to pay for medical expenses for the pre-existing condition during the exclusion period. This is applicable as long as you have not had any breaks in coverage, violations of your policy, and have paid your premiums.
Insurance companies in Louisiana are legally allowed to decline any applicant a health insurance policy. They may also decide upon the premium costs based on how healthy or how old you are. There are limits on how much they are permitted to charge, so it still remains within reason of affordability.
In the state of Louisiana, all health insurance policies are required by law to cover the following services:
- Maternity care
- Immunizations for children
- Hearing aids for children
- Breast, cervical, colorectal, and prostate cancer screenings
- Clinical cancer trials
For further information about health insurance laws in Louisiana, visit the Louisiana Department of Insurance site.
1. Kaiser Family Foundation, “Louisiana – State Health Facts”. www.statehealthfacts.org
2. Louisiana Department of Insurance. ldi.louisiana.gov/
3. Health Insurance In-Depth, “Louisiana Health Insurance”. http://www.healthinsuranceindepth.com/health-insurance-Louisiana.html