Requirements for Age and Family Status
For many insurance companies, eligibility requirements for age are as follows:
- Applicant and enrolling spouse must be over the age of 18 and under age 64 3/4
- Dependent children of applicant or enrolling spouse must be under age 26
- Dependent child age: Nebraska must be under age 30; Ohio must be under age 28
In most health insurance, dependents are defined as the following:
- Spouse or domestic partner
- Children under 26 years of age (stepchildren, natural, and adopted)
- Unregistered domestic partner (with signed affidavit)
- Unmarried disabled children (if the dependent has been unable to provide their own source of income due to a mental disability or physical handicap)
Eligibility of Newborns, Adoptees and Foster Children:
- Newborn children can be added to their insured parent’s plan within 31 days of birth with no underwriting necessary. The enrollment request must be submitted within 31 days after being born. If not, the newborn child will be subject to the full medical underwriting process and is required to meet all enrollment and underwriting requirements.
- Adopted children can be added to the adopting parent’s plan within 31 days of placement in the home for the purpose of adoption, without medical underwriting. Parents are required to give evidence of the authorization to control health care. If the enrollment request is not submitted within 31 days of adoption, the adoptee must complete the full medical underwriting process and meet all enrollment and underwriting requirements.
- Foster children are not eligible to be considered dependents according to certain health insurance companies.